Saturday, June 21, 2008

Tybee Island - A Well Kept Secret






While recently on a business trip to Savannah, Georgia, I took the opportunity to visit Tybee Island...mainly because I wanted to walk on the beach and feel the waves from the ocean beat up against my feet and legs. I really didn't know much about the island...but thought it is surrounded by ocean why not give it a try....and how excited I am that I visited there!!!

When crossing over to the island the first thing I saw was a sign indicating "Turtle Crossing." What in the world? Then I discovered that the Turtle Crossing was for sea turtles...yes the endangered sea turtles...HOW AWESOME IS THAT! The residents are very aware of this endangered species and they stop and break for them when crossing the roads on the island...and yes they do cross the roads...rearing their heads up at you as if to say I am doing the best I can...just wait a minute. Wow! What an awesome opportunity to view these creatures.

Then of course there is the beautiful historic lighthouse that calls in the ships....having existed since the 1700's. While I did not get to tour the lighthouse due to lack of time I did get to view it.
The birds on the island are amazing. I will not go into the many types of birds there but I have posted a picture of the pelicans.

Anyway, if anyone out there is looking for a beach vacation where it is quiet, beautiful and lacking in tourists....Tybee Island is for you. While taking my walks (I went 2 evenings) I was one of maybe 30 people on the beach. It was awesome! Check it out.




1 comment:

The Fischer Family said...

That looks gorgeous! Oh, I want to go! Plus, it's close to Savanah which I've always wanted to go to (especially since I heard about Paula Dean's resturant Lady and Sons!!!) Thanks for the beautiful pictures!