Friday, September 17, 2010

A Tribute to my BFF's Through the Years!!!!!

As I reflect back on my life I enjoy thinking about the many people who have influenced my life and believe me there are many. These people range in titles from Mother, Grandmother, sister, aunt, sisters in religion, neighbor, sister-in-law...and the list goes on. These individuals have been with me through hard times, good times, have seen me grow, learn, struggle and this list could go on as well.

One thing I have learned through the years is that women are interesting characters. We can be insecure and confident within a 5 minute time frame, cry and laugh in the same sentence or change our mind about the same topic 10 times within a 24 hour period. I like to think this is all just being part of being a woman. But how in the world could we make it through all of these ups and downs without special people around us to assist us? The answer is we couldn't, that is why through all walks of life we develop relationships/friendships to rely on, individuals who have had similar situations, those who may be stronger than we are, those who are more intelligent in different areas than we are or even those who we rely on to tell us like it is, for lack of a better phrase. I have been lucky enough to have all of this in my life, and my journey has been filled with learning and growing because of all of these special people, they are my BFF's.

Through the years my BFF list has grown and while you may not continue to have the experiences you once had with these individuals, your fond memories will always be there, along with the many lessons you learned from them.

As a child we begin our life with our Mother being our BFF. I have been very blessed in this department. My Mother has taught me well and given me great advice throughout the years. Your BFF list begins to grow as you add on sisters you may have. As sibling BFF's you play together, eat together and even at times share the same bed. I have two sisters and I have learned many things from them ranging from patience to kindness. Most importantly, I have learned that during my times of greatest need, I learned just how much they care and how far they will go to make me feel better. Below is a photo of my mother, my two sisters and me.


Now no female's life is complete without Grandmothers. I even understand this better now that I am a Grandmother. I had two very different, special Grandmothers in my life. I lived next door to one and the other was only a few miles a way. Through the years they were always my greatest advocates and my life would have not been complete without these two "BFF's." I don't have a photo of my Mom's Mother, she passed away several years ago, but she taught me all about hard work and even physical fitness as she walked to the post office which was at least a mile from her home two times a day.

My Grandmother on my Dad's side of the family lived next door. She is currently 97 years old. She taught me many things, such as compassion, love, cooking and things of a spiritual nature. Below is a photo of this wonderful lady. She is featured with my beautiful Granddaughter Brooklyn.

Once school begins your BFF list grows and grows with individuals going through many of the same experiences you are; however, during these most trying days you develop a list of a few individuals who stick around. I will never forget my childhood friend, Mitzi Bowling. She lived not far from my home and we played together most days. We went through much together in school. I still keep in touch with her and once a year when I attend the PGA Show in Orlando, Florida we have dinner just to play catch up. Below is a picture of my childhood BFF taken a couple of years ago at my parent's home. The picture shows a 2003 date but I am positive this is incorrect.


Once you graduate high school and move into life you begin to develop other friendships. I had several along the way, but one for sure I will mention and that is my friend Sue Muse. Sue and I shared religion, children of the same age, husbands in the same profession and we were both "prissy" if you will. We have been BFF's for years and we may go several years without seeing each other but when the reunion occurs it is like nothing ever changed. Below is a photo of us that was taken in Washington, DC many, many years ago. I love it!


Life continued on and at this point in my life I moved from my hometown of Pikeville, Kentucky to Fort Thomas, Kentucky. I developed wonderful friends in this area, most of which I share a religious faith. I will first start with my friend Judy Shuley. Judy and I have shared so many wonderful experiences and also so many experiences of hardship. Our friendship has been sealed to never be removed. She is one of dearest friends. I took this photo on Sunday, she plays the piano for the children's meetings at church.


I have one dear "BFF" that I can rely on to "tell me like it is." Her name is Judy Nelson. Judy can say anything to me and I will listen. Sometimes in life we get off base a little and Judy is the BFF that pulls you back on base. She is really good at it too! I recommend her to everyone! I never get upset with her for doing this but always appreciate it. I always say everybody needs a Judy! Below is a photo of Judy and I with her new Granddaughter.

I also have a BFF that I like to discuss physical fitness with. We also have children of the same age. Her name is Kathy Tipton. I love to take walks with her and just chit chat. We use to take a walk every Sunday morning, where we would walk about 7 miles. Kathy is quite physically fit and it was a quite an effort for me to keep up with her! Kathy is just one of those kind people you feel comfortable with all the time and she is always willing to help! Below is her photo.

I have another BFF named Barb Ilg who has literally seen me through some of the roughest moments in my life! I am forever grateful to her. I also very much enjoy her husband Dan. Dan is quite a unique individual and Barb and I enjoy laughing and talking about some of our funniest moments with Dan. They make a wonderful couple! Below is her photo.

When I got divorced from my husband I decided that I did not have to divorce his family. After all, they always treated me wonderfully and made me feel special. I will never forget that. I have remained friends with his sister, Debbie Salvato. We have been through many, many things together including the death of her husband three years ago. Below is Debbie's photo.


I have one BFF that moved to Utah a few years ago. I miss her on a daily basis! Prior to her departure we spent hours and hours together. Her daughters are the same age as my two children, we got divorced around the same time and share some very similar experiences. Even though she lives very far away we still talk on the phone like teenagers every week to play catch up. Her name is Stevie Howard. We are alike in so many ways and very different in others, I mean come on she is from NJ and I am the Appalachian Mountains! I didn't have a picture of us together for the blog so I am just going to post a picture of her! We even share the same hair color. She is featured with her beautiful Grandson Tate.


I want to end with one final BFF, one in which I thought a few years ago I would never add to the list and that is my daughter Bethany. Beth and I have loved each other, hated each other, cried for each other, laughed with each other, screamed at each other, well anyway you get the picture. I am very grateful to have added her to my BFF list. Below is our photo.


I want to finish my blog with thanking all the wonderful women who have made a difference in my life. They have made life interesting, exciting, spiritual, happy and at times bearable. Thank you! I feel very fortunate!

If you are reading this blog and you don't have BFF's in your life, then I strongly recommend you find at least one. They are worth it and necessary!

No comments: