Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Gym Rat??? For Real?

I love going to the gym to work out. Even on days when I feel tired and overly stressed I can quickly be made to feel better when I think of the gym. It brings a smile to my face and joy to my heart.

Sometimes I have to stop and ask myself...why such an obsession? Is it because my family was very involved in sports as a child? Or maybe because it relieves stress? Perhaps because it makes me feel so happy??
Or because I don't want to grow old and not be able to do things I enjoy because of my fitness level? All of these questions could be true somewhere in the depths of my mind...but I think the simple answer is it feels good and right for me. Perhaps gyms aren't for everyone.

During a week's time I take three urban iron classes (body pump), a spin class (going to add a second next week), a yoga class and a mat pilates class. I also do 2 short runs and one long run...so as you can see, I spend a lot of time at the gym. The cool thing is....I never resent any of my time there.

While in my classes or during a run it is fun to look around just to see who is there, people watch if you will. I love the fact that people of all ages attend the gym. I see people from 14 or 15 years old to 80 years old. One elderly lady attends two of my urban iron classes a week, and she is at least 70. She is quite the weight lifter! I also see people of different races, different gender, different sizes, different hair colors, different fitness levels, different heights, different body shapes....and I like to think that each of them has their very own personal reason for being there.

In my urban iron class, which meets at 5:45 am. we have actually become a big weight lifting family. We rarely have new people...the same group shows up most of the time. It is a very big class...ranging in attendance from 30 to 45 people. The instructor is awesome and she makes us feel good about what we are doing and nicely corrects our form and small ignorances along the way. It is fun to show up and see what everyone else has been doing during the week. Even though I don't spend time with these folks outside the gym they still seem important to me...just like the gym is important to me.

I guess in reality I have officially become a gym rat...or that's what the folks at the gym refer to those who attend the gym often...like myself. I guess I have a new title...to add to the long list. At least it is a positive one!

For those who don't attend a gym...come on down and join me at Bellevue Urban Active! You won't be sorry!

I joined Urban Active after I graduated from college in December. They were having a special and I decided to take the leap and just do it. It was the best decision I have made in a very long time, I feel good about myself and my forever increasing fitness level!












No comments: