Friday, September 24, 2010

Whoomp! There it is!

This week was an exceptionally difficult week for me. The company I work for recently purchased a company in Los Angeles, California and individuals from this company spent the week in Cincinnati meeting with the owners/upper management. Since this company sells a commercial product, as opposed to church, it falls under my jurisdiction; therefore, creating long work days for me. At the end of the week needless to say I felt exhausted!

With that said I managed to do quite well on the exercise side of my life. Yes I am giving myself a pat on the back. Last week I had a perfect workout week and I am on my way to having one again this week! Whomp! There it is! Exciting for me anyway!

Nonetheless, when I came home from work I sat down for a few minutes and before I knew it, I was taking a nap. Man, it felt nice! But I am only a cat napper so the nap was short and when I woke up I immediately thought I need to go for a run especially since I did not get up to do so this morning. This is when it happened, my negative, evil side came out and said you deserve a night off! I wanted to comply with this side of me and if I had done so I would not have been on route to complete another perfect workout week. Just when I thought I was going to cave my guilt started to kick in and my conscience said, "Jeannie, Get up!" Just like in the Lindsey Vonn video, you know the one from Under Armour...I will Protect this House. So just like Lindsey Vonn I found the courage to get up and go to the gym. Actually, that video ran through my head! Gosh, I am really weird!

Anyway, once I got to the gym I felt good about being there, but I will admit I was tired going in which makes for a long, difficult run! But tonight turned out to be quite a bit different than I thought. I was running on the track and I was trying my best, my time was right where I normally would be and I was ok with that, especially since I was feeling tired. But tonight, this guy, who is a light weight boxer that trains at the gym, was running on the track when I got there. Now he is a very nice looking, well built individual. His physique is all muscle to say the least. I am guessing he is probably about 25 years old. But this wasn't what made him stand out to me, even though he was quite pleasant to look at. What made him different was his speed and endurance. He was running when I got there and still running when I left. I did 3.1 miles so I have no idea how much running he was planning on doing.

The best part of his running was the fact that while he would run around the track and he would verbally encourage other runners to work harder and move faster. I kept watching this, especially how others reacted and it was awesome! I also loved it when he would stop running so fast and do a few boxing moves and say things like let's do it, let's keep going, work harder, work stronger. He had many interesting phrases...actually, it was like watching Rocky Balboa train. I have never witnessed anything quite like this before.

Now, I know you are waiting to hear what my words of encouragement from the phenomenal athlete were, and yes I did receive a few, but my favorite one was, "Keep up with me, a one minute round!" And my response was, "I wish!" That's when he stopped, turned around and said, "You haven't even tried!" That hit me like a brick...I thought you know he's right...I haven't tried at all! With him standing there looking right at me, for the first time in my life, I didn't know how to respond. Then he ran up to me and said come on. It was at this point that the words you haven't even tried went through my head. So off I went to give it a try...and for one round...for one minute, I did it! I might could have done another round or two...maybe three, but there was no way I could have continued...but I did it for one round! He patted me on the shoulder after the round...and said Whoomp! There it is! Life is good. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeannie, Glad to see you are blogging! I love this. So inspiring. I've always appreciated encouragement... a comment, a nod, a smile. This guy rocks! It's amazing what we can do when we push ourselves! So cool of him to help get you there. :-)
Great job on two perfect workout weeks!

Diane said...

I hit the send button before putting in my info!