Saturday, January 26, 2008

GRANDMOTHERS

As I reflect back on my life and think about individuals who have been a strong influence in my life the first name that stands out is that of my Grandmother. She became a widow at the very young age of 54. She never dated nor married after his death but turned her focus in life to that of her family and from that point forward she spent her life taking care of others.

I grew up next door to my Grandmother and can honestly say that most of my days and nights were spent at her home. I loved spending time at her home! Her home was so clean, she always cooked for you, let you watch anything you wanted to on tv, talk on the phone as long as you wanted to and she always made you feel important and special. I will never forget those feelings as long as I live. She truly made you feel like she had an unconditional love for you.

My Grandmother is still alive and one of my favorite things to do is to call and talk with her about the past or to visit her home...SHE IS 94 YEARS OLD!!! Her memories of the past are so interesting to me. I hang onto every word and hope to learn more about some of the events that have made her the person she is.

You never leave her house hungry! As soon as you walk in the door she wants to cook for you...and she always remembers the foods you enjoy most and is quite prepared to make those foods. If grandmothers were ranked on a scale of 1 to 10 she is definitely a 10 plus!

While I know that I could never be as great as she is I do hope that when my grandchildren arrive to this earth...and that better be soon if my son and daughter-in-law are reading this, that I can be the type of grandmother that mine is. I have very strong shoes to fill but every child deserves that!

No comments: