Sunday, January 13, 2008

I DID IT!!!!! I JOINED THE YMCA!!! MY FIRST GYM MEMBERSHIP!!

One of my New Year's Resolutions this year was to join a gym and lose 20 pounds. I am happy to report that I have begun the journey of accomplishing both these goals. I joined the Weight Watchers at Work Program and the local YMCA. Weight Watchers will assist with the weight loss and teach me better eating habits while the YMCA will provide a fitness center with personal trainers to assist me with the firming up process. Also included with the membership are yoga classes, kick boxing, step aerobics, cycling and hip hop classes! How cool is that!!

I made the choice to join the YMCA for several reasons, the first and main reason being it is about a mile from my home. Convenience is everything with my hectic lifestyle! To my pleasant surprise they have a newer fitness center, personal trainers and as an added bonus many individuals I know belong and attend there, thereby bringing added encouragement and support of my efforts!

This has been a very exciting adventure for me. My membership also entitled me to a a consultation with a personal trainer who introduced me to the all the equipment in the gym, assisted me with my weight allocation and gave me a 12 week work out schedule. It has been a fantastic experience thus far!

Since January is the time of the year when everyone makes commitments to lose weight and get themselves in shape attendance at weight loss programs and gyms increase by large numbers. Per the personal trainers at the YMCA this attendance decreases during March and April and in May only the very dedicated remain. Since I want to be a dedicated, successful individual at my new task I really looked long and hard at this decision to make sure I had the necessary tools to be successful. Of course, I also did my research.

I found it very interesting when reading an article recently on MSN Health which indicated that the most successful "gym" individuals are those who attend an at work gym or a community gym such as the YMCA as opposed to Golds Gym, etc. This made me stop and think...what are the differences? Could this be because we are more likely to be surrounded by individuals we know who will support our efforts?

Since I am only at the beginning of this journey support and encouragement are crucial for me. It is awesome to go to the gym and see friends and family there who are doing the same thing. My daughter is also a great support as she is doing this with me! She is actually one of my work out buddies. Even though she is younger, prettier and stronger than me...I am not intimidated! I run your show Bethany!!!

Thanks to my friends and family for your encouragement and good luck to all of you out there who are on the same journey. I will keep you posted on my success.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Haha ya you do run my show, but I am for sure the cute one ;)

I am proud of you for joining mom we'll both be lookin hott!!

The Fischer Family said...

Good luck with that! I want to start working out also. People tend to think because I'm thin I must be in shape, which is sooo far from the truth! Have fun!