Sunday, January 6, 2008

Hockey Hat Trick

My daughter and I attended a New Year's Eve hockey game in Colubmus, Ohio, featuring the Jackets vs. Oilers. This is a great tradition that we began last year. The arena is always filled with happy people who are glad to welcome in a new year with a sport they love.

My daughter, Bethany, who is a very dedicated hockey fan and even dedicates a website to the sport (www.bethanyshockeyrants.com), looks forward to the fun event for weeks before the game actually takes place. This night was made even more special because she ended her year on a great note seeing her favorite team, the Blue Jackets, win and also getting to see one of her friends play, Dustin Penner of the Edmonton Oilers (Team Sexy)! Congratulations Dustin on the weight loss!!!

Anyway, hockey has become a sport of which I have learned to enjoy. I am most impressed with the physical abilitities of the hockey players since physical fitness is one of my first loves.

On New Year's Eve in Columbus this year, I witnessed something I had never witnessed before...with only seconds remaining in the game, Rick Nash, or Little Ricky as Bethany prefers to call him, scored his third goal of the night...or he had a hat trick as hockey fans like to call it. Everyone in the arena stood up and cheered with joy and excitement and at that moment it began to happen...hats flew through the air onto the ice. I was overwhelmed with excitement...so excited that I had a strong urge to throw a hat onto the ice like everyone else, but I didn't have a hat...all I had was a hood on my vest that could be removed simply by a zipper. I could throw it onto the ice....the feeling was getting stronger and as I began to tug at the zipper the true girl in me emerged...WHAT WAS I THINKING!!! I just bought this new vest at Ann Taylor's Loft and paid $79 for it...there was no way in heck I was throwing it onto the ice only to have it removed and trashed by the hockey girls (hockey ho's as my daughter refers to them). Forget it Ricky.

Therefore, this blog is dedicated to Rick Nash and his New Year's Hat Trick...hats off to you for a job very well done! Hey is that what hat trick means????? Anyway to view the excitement check out the video below.


1 comment:

Bethany said...

That was the coolest thing I've ever seen!!!!!!! WOO!!!!!!!! I love little Ricky!!