Friday, January 25, 2008

A Testimonial of Yoga...Great for the Body, Spirit and Mind

About a year and a half ago I began the practice of yoga two, sometimes three, times a week on my lunch hour. One of my fellow employees is a yoga instructor in the evenings and actually teaches our "at work yoga" in an empty room in our office building. The company where I am employed is gracious enough to allow us to do this, well, actually encouraged it.

I have often read about yoga and thought it to be somewhat interesting...but my overall perception was that it was for "older" individuals and I in no way considered myself old! However, I was so impressed with the teacher, her calmness, great attitude and physical abilities I thought I would give it a try. So the journey began.

You should also know that I was diagnosed with high blood pressure about a year ago as well. I began medication with the hope that if I lost weight, watched my diet and exercised more frequently I would be able to control it without medication. Since that time I have been on the journey of pursuing each of these items; my blood pressure has become stable, and I am only taking one-half a pill every other day with the hope of eventually ceasing it all together.

I definitely feel that yoga has been a large contributor to my overall success with my blood pressure. I also feel more at peace, my body is stronger and more balanced and my mind more clear since I began practicing yoga. I now look forward to the lunch hours when I can practice yoga.

For those of you who have not tried yoga...give it a shot. It is great! It is definitely not for just older individuals....but something for any age! You will feel greater strength and peace in your life. I highly recommend it!!!

For all those who currently practice yoga...I would like to hear your stories. Leave me a comment.

No comments: